The Moroccan Gate minaret was built by the Mamluk judge Sharif Ad-Din bin Fakhr Ad-Din Al-Khalili in 1278 CE (677 AH) near to the Moroccan Gate.
- The 23-meters high minaret is the shortest minaret inside Masjid al-Aqsa and stands without any foundations.
- The top of the minaret was damaged in the earthquake that hit Jerusalem in 1922 CE (1340 AH) and was repaired by the Islamic Supreme Council which complemented it with a dome. It was later covered with lead sheets by the Hashemite Fund for the Restoration of Al-Aqsa Mosque and Dome of the Rock.
References: A guide to al-Aqsa mosque – PASSIA