The Salahya minaret is also known as the Tribes Gates or the Al-Asbat minaret and is located on the northern edge of Masjid al-Aqsa.
- It was first built by the Governor of Jerusalem Saif Ad-Din Qatlo Pasha during the Mamluk Sultan Al-Ashraf Sha’ban’s reign.
- It used to be a square-shaped minaret until the Ottoman ordered its reconstruction in 1599 CE (1007 AH) during the reign of Sultan Mahmet II, making it the only cylindrical-shaped minaret inside Masjid al-Aqsa.
- The minaret was renovated twice, first in 1927 CE (1345 AH) after being damaged in an earthquake, and then in 1967 CE (1387 AH) after being damaged during Israeli raids. The al-Aqsa Mosque’s Committee reconstructed the minaret and covered its dome with lead sheets.
References: A guide to al-Aqsa mosque – PASSIA