This is the tomb of Shaddad bin Aus (رضي الله عنه) and is situated in the Muslim graveyard close to the Lions Gate. He narrated several ahadith directly from the Prophet (ﷺ).
- He was also well known as Abu Abdur Rahman. He was known to be an extremely tolerant person and would speak very little.
- Once he complained to the Prophet (ﷺ) about his straitened condition. The Prophet (ﷺ) made dua for him and said, “Poverty will never become your lot. Shaam will be conquered and you will acquire booty in abundance. Your children will become the Imams of Baitul Muqaddas.”
- At the conquest of Shaam, the booty was collected and an army of 500 men were delegated to transfer the goods to Madinah so that Abu Bakr (رضي الله عنه) could see it with his own eyes. Shaddaad bin Aus (رضي الله عنه) was appointed the leader of this group. He says, “As I reached Madinah Munawarrah with the spoils of war, the people saw us from a distance and noticed the large caravan of people coming in. Abu Bakr (رضي الله عنه) enquired what the fuss was all about and he was informed that the Muslims were victorious and that Shaddad had arrived with the booty.”
- Shaddad (رضي الله عنه) first entered the masjid and performed two rakats salah and thereafter made his way to the Rawdah Mubarak of the Prophet (ﷺ) to offer salam. Perhaps at that particular time he thought of how he had once complained to the Prophet (ﷺ) regarding his poverty and that day the prophecy of the Prophet (ﷺ) had indeed materialised before his eyes.
- After the passing away of the Prophet (ﷺ), he moved to Palestine. He passed away in Palestine in the year 58 AH at the age of 55. Abu Darda (رضي الله عنه) used to say that many people attain knowledge but do not have tolerance, Abu Ya’la i.e. Shaddad (رضي الله عنه) possessed both ilm (knowledge) and hilm (tolerance).
References: Wikipedia, In the Blessed Lands: Jamiatul Ulama KZN