Madressa al-Tankaziyah is a school built in 1328 CE (729 AH) by the governor of Syria prince Saif Ad-Din Tankaz An-Nasri. The school is located between the Gate of the Chain to the north and al-Buraq Wall to the south.
- It was originally dedicated to teaching of hadith and was turned into a courthouse during the Mamluk Sultan Qaitbay’s reign.
- Under the Ottomans it became a Shari’a Court until the early days of the British Mandate when the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem Amin Al-Husseini made it his place of residence.
- The building went back to being a school for teaching Islamic jurisprudence until it was confiscated by the Israeli Authorities in 1969 CE (1388 AH) and turned into a border police station to monitor and oversee Masjid al-Aqsa.
References: A guide to al-Aqsa mosque – PASSIA