Madressa al-Basitiyah is located in the northern side of Masjid al-Aqsa, next to Madressa al-Duwaidaryyah. It was endowed by Judge Zein Ad-Din Abdul-Basit Khalil Al-Dimashqi/Al-Qahiri who was in charge of the treasury and army during the reign of King Al-Mu’ayyad Saif Ad-Din Sheikh Al-Mamluki between 1412-1421 CE (815-824 AH).
- The school’s foundation is credited to Sheikh Al-Islam Shams Ad-Din Mohammad Al-Harawi, inspector of the two noble mosques (Masjid al-Aqsa and Masjid-e-Ebrahim), who commenced its construction but passed away before its completion. It consists of three rooms and an outdoor yard.The school was concerned with teaching Shafi jurisprudence, hadith and the Qur’an to orphans. Today, it serves as a residential building.
References: A guide to al-Aqsa mosque – PASSIA