King Issa Al-Moatham ordered the building of this school in 1207 CE (604 AH) and dedicated it to teaching Arabic language and grammar. In 1213 CE (608 AH) he added a dome on top of it.
- The building consists of two rooms and a hallway in the middle that is topped with two domes: the big silver dome lies on top of the western room, the smaller dome sits on top of the eastern room, while the hallway’s roof is flat.
- The dome’s entrance is located on its northern side, and is decorated with two marble columns.
- The structure remained a school for Arabic language and grammar until the 17th Century CE (12th Century AH) and played a great role in Jerusalem’s cultural and intellectual scene.
- During the past century, the dome was used as a library for the Islamic Supreme Council, and as an architectural office for the restoration and reconstruction of the Dome of the Rock. Today, it is serving as an office for the acting Supreme Judge and as headquarters for the Shari’a Appeal Court in Jerusalem.
References: A guide to al-Aqsa mosque – PASSIA