This dome structure was built in 1191 CE (587 AH) by the ruler Yusuf bin Ayyub, more famously known as Salahuddin Ayyubi.
- It was renovated in 1681 CE (1092 AH) during the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Mehmet IV. It’s name was attributed to it’s founder Yusuf bin Ayyub, and in a later stage was attributed to it’s renovator the Ottoman governor Ali bin Yusuf Agha.
- Another opinion is that it was built to commemorate the Prophet Yusuf (عليه السلام).
- The domes structure is open from all sides, except for the southern side which is sealed by a wall. It is built on two stone columns and contains two inscriptions.
References: A guide to al-Aqsa mosque – PASSIA, HUMA’s travel guide to Palestine