This rock formation (near the city of Salt) is believed by Christians to be the wife of Lut (عليه السلام), who looked back at the punishment being inflicted on the people of Sodom and Gommorah and as a result was turned into a pillar of salt. According to the Holy Quran, the wife of Lut (عليه السلام) was inflicted with punishment but her turning into a pillar of salt is not specifically mentioned. Allah (ﷻ) knows best. Please note that this has been shown for information purposes only as it relates to Quranic revelation. By no means does this imply that this is a place of veneration for Muslims.
- Some angels came down in the form of handsome young men to Sadoom (Sodom), where lived Lut (عليه السلام) among a community indulging in homosexuality and immoral behaviour. The first to see them was one of the daughters of Lut (عليه السلام) who immediately told her father about them. Lut (عليه السلام), fearing that they will be abused if they were spotted, rushed out to meet them and invited them to his house as his guests. Allah (ﷻ) mentions this incident in the Quran in Surah Hud:“And when Our messengers came to Lut [Lot], he was anxious for them, feeling powerless to protect them, and said, ‘This is truly terrible day’.” [11:77]
- Only the people of his house were aware of the guests but his wife went out and informed the people that Lut (عليه السلام) had brought handsome men into the house. People immediately came and surrounded the house and demanded Lut (عليه السلام) to give up his guests to them. Lut (عليه السلام) barricaded himself behind the closed door but when he found the task of holding them back formidable, he said,“If only I had the strength to stop you or could rely on strong support!” [11:80]
- In that moment, Allah (ﷻ) makes mention of what the angels said:“O Lut, we are your Lord’s messengers. They will not reach you. Leave with your household in the dead of night, and let none of you turn back. Only your wife will suffer the fate that befalls the others. Their appointed time is the morning not near?’“[11:81]
- Lut (عليه السلام) left with his family and when the sun rose the decree of Allah was fulfilled. A severe punishment descended upon the people and destroyed all of them. On the saving of Lut (عليه السلام), Allah (ﷻ) says in the Holy Quran: “We saved him and all his family, except for an old woman who behind.“ [26:170-171]
- There are two interpretations about how his wife was destroyed. Either she remained inside the city or she looked back at the punishment and as a result was punished herself.
- Allah (ﷻ) has mentioned in Surah At-Tahrim: “Allah has given examples of disbelievers: the wives of Nuh [Noah] and Lut [Lot] who married two of Our righteous servants, but betrayed them. Their husbands could not help them against God: it was said,’Both of you enter the Fire with the others.” [66:10]
References: Stories of the Prophets – Ibn Kathir