This rock formation (near the city of Salt) is believed by Christians to be the wife of Lut (upon him be peace), who looked back at the punishment being inflicted on the people of Sodom and Gommorah and as a result was turned into a pillar of salt. According to the Holy Quran, the wife of Lut (upon him be peace) was inflicted with punishment but her turning into a pillar of salt is not specifically mentioned. Allah (ﷻ) knows best. Please note that this has been shown for information purposes only as it relates to Quranic revelation. By no means does this imply that this is a place of veneration for Muslims.
- Some angels came down in the form of handsome young men to Sadoom (Sodom), where lived Lut (upon him be peace) among a community indulging in homosexuality and immoral behaviour. The first to see them was one of the daughters of Lut (upon him be peace) who immediately told her father about them. Lut (upon him be peace), fearing that they will be abused if they were spotted, rushed out to meet them and invited them to his house as his guests. Allah (ﷻ) mentions this incident in the Quran in Surah Hud:“And when Our Messengers came to Lut he was grieved on their account and felt himself straightened for them (lest the town people should approach them to commit sodomy with them). He said: ‘This is a distressful day’.” [11:17]
- Only the people of his house were aware of the guests but his wife went out and informed the people that Lut (upon him be peace) had brought handsome men into the house. People immediately came and surrounded the house and demanded Lut (upon him be peace) to give up his guests to them. Lut (upon him be peace) barricaded himself behind the closed door but when he found the task of holding them back formidable, he said,“Would that I had power against you, or might have some strong support for refuge.” [11:80]
- In that moment, Allah (ﷻ) makes mention of what the angels said:“O Lut ! Verily, we are the Messengers from your Lord! They shall not reach you! So travel with your family in a part of the night, and let not any of you look back, but your wife (will remain behind), verily, the punishment which will afflict them, will afflict her. Indeed, morning is their appointed time. Is not the morning near?” [11:81]
- Lut (upon him be peace) left with his family and when the sun rose the decree of Allah was fulfilled. A severe punishment descended upon the people and destroyed all of them. On the saving of Lut (upon him be peace), Allah (ﷻ) says in the Holy Quran: “So we saved him and his family, all except an old woman (his wife) among those who remained behind.” [26:170-171]
- There are two interpretations about how his wife was destroyed. Either she remained inside the city or she looked back at the punishment and as a result was punished herself.
- Allah (ﷻ) has mentioned in Surah At-Tahrim: “Allah has struck a similitude for those who disbelieve – the wife of Nuh and the wife of Lut. They were under two of our righteous servants, but they betrayed them, so that they (their husbands) availed them nothining whatsoever against Allah; so it was said (to them) enter the fire along with the enterers.” [66:10]
References: Stories of the Prophets – Ibn Kathir