The Dome of the Chain is located to the east of the Dome of the Rock and marks the exact centre of Masjid al-Aqsa.
- The Dome of the Chain was built by the Umayyad Caliph Abdul Malik bin Marwan in 691 CE. It is also known as Qubbat al-Silsillah.
- It is one of the oldest structures in the Masjid al-Aqsa compound. It’s exact purpose isn’t clear, some have suggested it was used as a treasury or as prototype for the Dome of the Rock.
- When the Crusaders invaded in 1099 CE, they transformed the building into a chapel dedicated to St. James. It was returned back to the Muslims when Salahuddin Ayyubi liberated Jerusalem in 1187 CE.
- The Dome of the Chain was renovated by the Mamluk sultan Baybars. In 1561 CE, under the Ottoman sultan Sulayman the Magnificent, the tiles of the mihrab were glazed and later in 1760 CE, more tile work was done.
References: HUMA’s travel guide to Palestine, A guide to al-Aqsa mosque – PASSIA, Wikipedia