Masjid Bani Haram holds historical importance as it stands in the area where the clan of Bani Haram lived. This is also where the camps of the Muslims were based during the Battle of Ahzab (War of the Trench). The house of the sahabi Jabir (رضي الله عنه) was located here and the following miraculous event occurred at his house:
- During the digging of the trench, Jabir (رضي الله عنه) noticed that the Prophet (ﷺ) was suffering from severe hunger. That evening. he asked his wife if she was able to cook a meal. She replied, “We have nothing but this small sheep and a measure of barley.” So he sacrificed the sheep, and the next day his wife roasted it and ground the barley and made some bread.
- When it was too dark to continue working, Jabir (رضي الله عنه) secretly went to the Prophet (ﷺ) as he was leaving the trench and invited him to the meal of mutton and barley bread. “The Prophet put his palm against mine”, said Jabir, “and knotted his fingers through my fingers. I wanted him to come alone, but he told a cryer to call out, ’Go with the messenger of God unto the house of Jabir. Respond, for Jabir invites you.’” Jabir (رضي الله عنه) uttered the verse which the faithful are recommended to utter at a moment of disaster: “Verily we are for God,and verily unto Him are we returning.“ The Prophet (ﷺ) said to him, “Do not take the pot off the fire, and do not bake your dough until I come!”.
- Jabir (رضي الله عنه) went home to warn his wife. “Did you invite them or did he?”she asked. “No, he invited them,” replied Jabir. “Then let them come,” she responded, “for he knows best.”
- The meal was placed in front of the Prophet (ﷺ) who blessed it. He then took out some food from the pot and served his companions, keeping both the pot and the oven covered. There were ten sitting down with him,and when they had all eaten their fill they rose and went to their homes, making room for ten more, and so it went on until all the workers at the trench had satisfied their hunger. Amazingly there still remained some mutton and some bread.
- After everyone had eaten the Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Eat and give to other people for they have suffered hunger!”. [Al-Bukhari]
References: Muhammad his life based on the earliest sources – Martin Lings, Journey to the Sacred – Deen Intensive Foundation