Sabeel Qaitbay

Sabeel Qaitbay

The Sabeel Qaitbay with the Dome of the Rock in the background

The Sabeel Qaitbay is a public fountain originally built by Sultan Saif Ad-Din Ennal in 1456 CE (860 AH). As only a well had remained of its original structure, the Mamluk Sultan Qaitbay reconstructed it and added a colourful brick and marbled floored building, topped with an octagonal dome ornamented with Islamic motifs.

  • The Sabeel was renovated again by the Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid II in 1883 CE (1300 AH). Today, it is made up of two floors; a well is situated on the ground floor and a tank used for storing water on the second.

References: A guide to al-Aqsa mosque – PASSIA

Location map:
Search by: