This photo, which is north-west of the Ka’bah, shows the approximate place where the Darun Nadwah (Assembly House) was located. The house functioned as a house of parliament for the Quraysh and it was from here that they plotted to kill the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him). Note that this area is located in the new expansion project of the Haram.
- Qusay bin Kilaab built the Darun Nadwah approximately 150 years before the birth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him). The house was used for public meetings; discussions were held to settle important matters like war and peace, caravans assembled before going out, and marriages and other ceremonies were conducted. It was also from here that battalions received their flags before marching in battle.
- The leaders of the Quraysh gathered in Darun Nadwah to scheme against Islam and the Muslims. When Islam was gathering strength in Makkah and the Quraysh feared their power would become undermined they held a special council to discuss how they could get rid of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him).
- Iblees (Satan) was also present in this meeting disguised as Sheik Jaleel of Najd. Some of the leaders of the Quraysh were of the opinion that they should banish the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) from their territory, while others felt they should imprison him till death. Finally, Abu Jahl put forth his idea that they should each select a strong youth from their tribe, arm them with swords and strike the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) in one go. By assassinating the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) in this manner,all of the clans would have a share of his blood and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him)’s protectors, Banu Abdu Munaf could not take on all of the Quraysh at one time. Sheik Jaleel (Iblees) commended the plan and the Quraysh set their trap.
- However, Jibraeel (upon him be peace) came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) and told him of the plot to assassinate him. That night, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) asked Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) to sleep in his bed after assuring him that no harm would come to him and he himself managed to slip away unnoticed. It was only at dawn that the Quraysh realised that it was Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) that was sleeping on the bed and that they had been tricked. Regarding this incident Allah (Glorified and Exalted is He) makes mention in Surah al-Anfal:“Remember how the unbelievers plotted against you to imprison you, to kill you, or to exile you from Makkah. They plot and plan, but Allah plans too, and the best of planners is Allah.” [8:30]
- Darun Nadwah came into Muslim control after the conquest of Makkah. Due to the close proximity to the Masjid Haram, many Muslim leaders and Khulafa stayed there when they performed Hajj and Umrah, among them being Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) on one occasion.
- The Abbasi Khalifah, Mu’tadhid Billah included the Darun Nadwah in the Masjid Haram in the year 284 AH (897 CE)
References: The History of Makkah Mukarramah – Dr Muhammad Ilyas Abdul Ghani, When the Moon Split – Shaikh Safiur-Rahman Mubarakpuri, Al-Islam.org